Search engine optimization is one of the most talked about and controversial topics on the Internet today. This is one of the most misunderstood subjects.
In its basic form, search engine optimization (SEO) involves modifying a website so that it appears well in organic bot-based search engine listings.
Now, even this quick and precise definition of search engine optimization (SEO) can lead to heated debates about the meaning and purpose of SEO.
So the question can be asked, why is SEO such a popular and controversial topic that generates so much debate within the SEO community and the internet population in general? especially website owners? In my humble opinion, there are 6 reasons why Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is having the popularity it is enjoying today.
- Targeted Website Traffic – If you ask the vast majority of website owners and people within the SEO industry, what is the most important factor for a business and / or website operation? successful. A large percentage of people will say website traffic and even more specifically targeted website traffic.
Currently on the Internet, the biggest resource for targeted website traffic on an ongoing basis is the search engines. On an annual basis, statistics show that approximately 75% to 80% of all purchases made by individuals on the Internet originally started as a result of a search engine search and that the vast majority of people who visit websites usually come through a search. motor. Such dominant numbers cannot be ignored even by the biggest opponents of search engine optimization. Additionally, because SEO focuses on optimizing websites for search engine ranking success, it is only natural that people are interested in the field and practice of SEO. search (SEO).
- SEO Controversy – Search engine optimization (SEO) is one of the most controversial topics regarding website operations on the Internet. Supporters of SEO can say that it provides a viable method for websites to be seen in search engines, which is important for any website that wants internet traffic today.
However, SEO disgusted naysayers may also say that many websites achieve high visibility in search engines without using SEO work, and SEO professionals only provide high cost guessing services that don’t guarantee. not search engine ranking success.
This situation, which has some merit regarding arguments on both sides, generates heated debates between SEO proponents and SEO opponents on an ongoing basis that quarrel daily on forums, blogs, websites and newsletters. on the Internet with exposure in magazines and on television.
Put simply, controversy generates attention and whether you love it or hate it SEO really provides a lot of controversy. Additionally, as long as search engines play a dominant role in generating targeted website traffic, SEO will remain a popular topic.
- Money – Search engine optimization is a multi-million dollar business. Search engines generate billions of dollars each year from advertising. Websites earn billions of dollars for their owners every year using search engines through paid advertisements or organic (free) listings in search results.
It’s no wonder that with billions of dollars on the table every year, anything that can provide an individual or a business with a competitive advantage in the super-fast internet world is a hot topic of discussion. and debate.
Moreover, thanks to a combination of perception and reality that highlights search engine optimization as the key to increasing internet sales, search engine optimization is a very popular topic for decision makers. within many companies that pays extra attention to SEO in the business world and beyond.
- No SEO Rules or Standard Regulations – Search Engine Optimization (SEO) can best be described as a modern take on the Wild West. Basically almost anything can be said or done as there are no formal standards set for the industry as a whole.
Therefore, in a real sense, no one is really right or wrong about thoughts, comments or decisions regarding SEO techniques and / or methods. Right or wrong is replaced by what is considered ethical by individuals and each has a unique set of ethics. What one person might view as unethical, another might view as completely honest and well-meaning help. This is why you have labels like white hat and black hat SEO in the SEO industry.
- Search Engines – Search engine optimization was created as a by-product of the development, use and popularity of search engines. Without search engines, there is no SEO industry in its current form and shape.
As confirmed by statistics on an annual basis, the majority of targeted website traffic on the internet is generated directly or indirectly through search engines and a very high percentage of internet sales is directly related to visitors from search engines to research of products and / or services. .
With the dominant role that search engines play on the Internet and the fact that search engine success depends on the ability to deliver accurate and reliable search results to its visitors, successful search engines tend to develop a relationship. informal with the SEO industry.
So a certain amount of SEO work on websites tends to help search engines deliver what their visitors are looking for which is top-notch search results.
For this reason, search engines sometimes provide SEO information and SEO recommendations to their visitors directly on the search engines. This helps the SEO industry tremendously by putting the industry at the forefront of the main people interested in (free) organic search results who are search engine users looking for something specific and site owners. Web that want to be found in the search engine. results.
- The SEO Mystery – Almost no SEO professional will explain in detail what they do regarding SEO work. Some will provide a bit of SEO information, mostly as part of marketing efforts for SEO professionals in forums, blogs, and newsletters. Even eBooks and books sold only explain SEO in general terms. Search engine optimization (SEO) is really a mystery to website owners and / or those interested in organic search engine rankings.